Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 06-14-2024, 04:04 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Warfare Boards » Warfare RP Board
MFoD (Part One): Overwhelmed
Dionysus Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

05-12-2023, 10:32 PM

Since that night at the bar, Elli and I kept up with friendly conversation.

A joke here.

A meme there.

Sure, there were a few days where we wouldn't say anything, but we both have our own lives. Why look desperate, right? But it turned out that we both had some time free while we were both downtown, so I asked her to meet up for some lunch. Nothing wrong with that between friends, right?

Aaaaand of course it would happen on an afternoon Twins game. Driving downtown was already bad enough, what with all the post-winter road resurfacing going on, but add game day on top of that? Good luck driving anywhere without stalling for around five minutes per block. Thankfully, Brits, the pub we were meeting at for lunch, was not in the busiest area downtown. It did mean, however, that I had to cut through the busiest area to get there.

Ten minutes just to get through downtown, followed by five minutes of finding a place to park. What I wouldn't give to have a better public transit system in this city...

We agreed to try and get a table on the rooftop patio, if it wasn't too busy. Brits during the day was not incredibly busy, unless there happened to be a footie game on. It was a nice day for the patio; sunny and while a bit breezy, would not be disruptive. I saw Elli waving at me from a table near the back corner. I waved back politely, and as I walked up, I heard her say, "Well you look really dressed up for a lunch date," with just a hint of teasing in her words.

I looked down; while I was wearing slacks and a button-up shirt, I didn't feel awfully dressed up. Still, I chuckled as I took the chair opposite of her. "I have a few other errands today and figured, why not?" Our waiter came by with the menus and glasses of water. On asking whether we wanted anything to drink, I replied, "Just water for me, thanks."

Elli smiled at the water. "Same here," she said. He walked away to give us time to look over the menu. Elli picked up her menu, humming happily as she drew a finger across all the available options. "I've only been here once or twice, but the food has always been good. Maybe I'll try the veggie tikka masala this time."

"I was thinking of the Guinness pot roast myself," I chimed in, looking over the menu myself. I clicked my tongue as I looked over the prices. "Although..."

"Oh relax," Elli chastised playfully, having heard my tongue click. "Its not like you're paying for both of us...or are you?" She added with a tone that could only be described as a smolder, all the while she had lowered her menu so only her eyes were visible. She gave me a look that I could only describe as hungry.

I just shook my head saying, "Well that's true...but if you want I could-"

"Well great!" She cut me off, "Then I guess its the two piece fish and chips for me." She lowered her menu, her smile and the gleam in her eyes showing a sense of victory on her face.

I sighed overdramatically as we both laughed. It had been some time since I had been out with a friend, and I was feeling very relaxed. "I never did ask; what is it that you do for work?"

"Oh, a little of this, a little of that," she replied dismissively, waving her hand nonchalantly. "Actually I run a house cleaning business. Usually we help with clean up for realtor showings or events, that kind of thing."

"Very nice. Is it just you doing the cleaning?"

"No, I have five regular employees and hire out temp workers when I need a few extra hands. The workload isn't too bad with the people we have now, but I wouldn't mind expanding the business to help clean business properties. Dad always told me that there is no shame in working the jobs no one else wants to do," She said, beaming with pride. "Alright, now its your turn. What kind of work does a well-dressed man like you do, hmm?"

"Tell you what; I can either tell you," I offered to Elli, "Or you can guess. But I bet you won't guess it."

"Oh yeah? And what if I do guess it?" Elli asked cockily.

"Then I pay the next time we have lunch. Or dinner, I suppose. But if you don't guess it, then you pay."

"Deal," Elli confirmed. She put both her hands on the table, staring me down as though she were deep in analysis. And I thought Elbrook's gaze was piercing. "Hmm...part of me wants to say you're just some entrepreneur...but you clean up much nicer than most guys I know who run their own businesses...and given your physique, I don't think you just sit behind a desk all day...how many guesses do I get?"

"As many as you want," I replied. This would be easy; not many people would guess professional wrestler as a career.

"Huh. Its almost like you want to treat me to dinner," Elli taunted playfully. "Lets see...you're an athlete but don't play for any sports teams...you don't look like a fitness trainer...so you're either a boxer or an MMA fighter."

I laughed, clapping my hands in victory. "You almost got it. But I'll give it to you anyway; not many people would be able to guess it. I do have a few businesses, but I'm a professional wrestler by trade."

Elli simply blinked at my response. "You're actually a professional wrestler? For real?"

"I could show you the paychecks if you want."

"Oh, its not that, its just...that sounds like the kind of thing someone would lie about to get out of paying for a date." She smiled again, indicating she was joking. That damn smile was going to get her in trouble. "So what's it like being a professional wrestler?"
"Pretty busy, all things considered. Currently I'm under contract with two promotions, and I have a few other events that I am booked out for. When I'm not doing that, I help operate a charity foundation to help address homelessness in the area, and just recently I started breaking ground on a vineyard."

"Wow...you really are keeping busy."

"Its all in the sake of security, I suppose. You never know when you could get sidelined due to an injury."

Elli's expression changed from delighted to concerned as she looked at me, asking, "And you're doing okay with all of that? I mean, it isn't too much for you?"

I was taken aback by the question. Not that it was too forward, but it was a surprise. Truth be told, it was nice someone other than Dr. Elbrook, William or even my mother was asking me how I was doing. "You know, I hadn't thought about that...I guess it can be stressful juggling all of my commitments at once, but somehow I manage. Nothing has really collapsed in on me just yet with all of this, but I feel like it could if I don't plan it properly."

Elli took some time to process what I had said, then smiled gently. "Careful now, you just jinxed yourself," she teased.

"I most certainly did no-" It was at that moment that my phone buzzed. I pulled out my phone and saw a message from Dr. Elbrook:

Are you well? We were to meet at 11 and it is 12:30. Need to reschedule?

My mood dropped. I never missed an appointment like that. I was always on top of my schedule. I sighed as I quickly replied back to Elbrook:

Apologies; wrong date in calendar. Let me know when you're next available.

After hitting send, I put my phone on the table, and I sheepishly said, "Sorry...that was my therapist. I guess I had the wrong date down for my session."

"Oh, you're in therapy?"

"It isn't anything serious, I assure you. Just helping me manage stress and work out some stuff from my past." I felt embarrassed talking about Dr. Elbrook with Elli; for some reason it just didn't seem right.

But she took that information well, smiling and saying "Thanks for telling me. And if you need someone else to talk to, you know how to reach me."

How could I be so lucky to have a friend like her? I smiled back, relaxing in my chair. "I appreciate that. Who knows, maybe I'll-"

BZZZZ

BZZZZ

William's name came up on the caller ID. "...Great, now what?" I grabbed the phone, accepting the call and holding it to my ear. "Yes William? I'm in the middle of a-"

"Yes, I'm sorry; I know you're busy and I wouldn't have called otherwise," William said excitedly, "But there's a problem at the vineyard; you need to get down here right away."

"Now?"

"No, tomorrow," William said sarcastically. "Yes I mean now" He added in a much more serious tone. "The construction company is claiming we didn't make their down payment for the cement work and are demanding they be paid upfront for the full amount!"

"Did you show them the work order with our down payment information?"

"They didn't even want to talk to me. Your name is on the contract and they'll only speak to you."

I shook my head, looking over at Elli and mouthing "I'm sorry" to her while on the line. "...Alright, I'll be right there," I resigned, hanging up on William as I did so. I put my phone back in my pocket, saying "I'm really sorry, but I need to go take care of some business at the vineyard."

"Its okay, you go; I still want my fish and chips."

One of my core philosophies when it comes to this business is "It is never a matter of if, but when." The amount of work one puts in will result in success, whether it is obvious and immediate or subtle but building over time. My goal in XWF was to make a second home, and after several months of testing the waters, I believe I have finally found that sweet spot. A little chunk of the XWF landscape that I have carved out and made my own. And sure, I've had more downs than ups recently, but all of that can change on a dime. All it takes is that one solid victory to get the momentum going. Besides, what I have been able to show thus far has to have impressed some people upstairs. Sure, a third round draft choice in the War Games draft might have some people turning up a nose, but it is better than not being asked for at all, yes? Not bad for the new guy coming in. And while I have my reservations about being on a team captained by a woman who was more than happy to take a pre-emptive strike before our title match, I am willing to put that aside and help the team get the win, Dolly included. Because that's how teams work.

My misgivings about Dolly are a problem for future Dionysus, however. Right now I'm staring down the barrel of a gun being held by the man who usurped Dolly Waters, Isaiah King. The self-proclaimed Heir Apparent. The man that was able to do what I could not. Whether he really feels the challenge offered from Dolly was actually worthwhile or not remains to be seen. But I can guarantee all of you that he's going to make some lame-ass crack about me not being able to get the job done against Dolly, and use that as a reason why I won't be beating him.

Which, lets be honest, is truly, truly tiresome.

The only thing that matters in the ring is who you are up against in that moment. Not who they've lost to. Not who they've beaten. Just the competition in that moment. See King, that is the difference between you and I. You go out there to try and prove every single week that you are better than everyone. I go out there to try and win. It might seem like a single-minded goal, but consider for just a moment:

I don't have any qualms having been dealt losses. By Ned Kaye, by Dolly Waters, by any damn person I've ever lost to. Why? Because that's just how it goes sometimes. Now sure, I could be like you and keep that fixation in my head, use those losses to drive my motivation. Or I could simply be motivated by the prospect of toppling a champion, and let the losses lie as they are.

...Yeah, I think I'll stick with that option.

See, the constant need to prove yourself is hilariously melodramatic. And this is coming from me. Dionysus. The guy named after the god of the theater and wine. You're currently a champion, and you still need to prove you're better than everyone? It isn't the "why" that interests me in that particular thought process. It is the "who." Who does Isaiah King, The Heir Apparent, need to prove he's better than everyone to? Certainly it isn't me. You're holding a title belt; that's plenty of proof that you are talented in your own right. It definitely isn't the fans; you raising middle fingers to the "cunt" chant is the best evidence there. So it is only to yourself that you need to prove that you're better than everyone. And for what? The satisfaction of knowing you have bested everyone at least once? That is a feat anyone in this business is capable of.

Maybe instead of focusing on being better than everyone, you focus on being the champion you want to be remembered for. A television championship might seem like a burden to you, but considering how often you like dredging up how memorable other reigns have been, I have to wonder what kind of chapter you want to leave in the television title history. Will it span several chapters, or only be a footnote with a handful of wins and one apparently devastating draw? That is the unfortunate detail about having the moniker of "The Heir Apparent;" it reeks of the kind of inevitability that ultimately does not really happen in this business, unless you truly are one in a million. It is that implication of future success that allows for competitors like you to ease away from the responsibility of belts that are not the main prize of the business.

For me, however, each title bears its importance.

Consider; you are shaping an entire division, laying down the groundwork and standing above it as the embodiment of what that division represents. For you, that means wallowing in the past while pretending to focus on the present. For me, that means taking every challenge as they come, regardless of their past. To build the division as I see it needing to be built. And what exactly does this division need? Healthy competition. Rivalries that span beyond singular title matches. A division where literally everyone is at the championship level, even when they are not the champion. And that is why you will fall to me. I don't need to be better than everyone. I need everyone to be at my level.

It isn't a matter of "if" I become champion. It is "when" I become champion.

And that happens...at the count of three.
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 4 users Like Dionysus's post:
AlexRichards (05-13-2023), Doctor Louis D'Ville (05-12-2023), Prince Adeyemi (05-13-2023), Theo Pryce (05-13-2023)